Tooth-Colored Fillings – Dayton, OH
Repair Cavities Seamlessly
If you have a tooth that has experienced a small injury or a cavity, a dental filling could be the best solution here at Rahn Dental Group. Dr. Quinttus, Dr. Budde, and Dr. Sullivan are happy to offer tooth-colored composite resin that repairs a tooth’s health and its appearance all at once. Please don’t hesitate to contact our Dayton, OH office if you have any questions about this service, or if you’re ready to schedule an appointment.
What are Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings (also simply known as dental restorations) are restorative treatments that can repair relatively minor dental problems, such as cavities, the chipping of enamel, or a crack in the tooth. Fillings are successful in both strengthening the hurt tooth and improving its overall integrity so that it can continue to serve the patient well for many more years.
In the past, dental fillings were primarily made from gold or a silver amalgam. These materials are very durable and are made to withstand the forces of chewing, but because they don’t match the color of your natural teeth, they tend to stand out. For this reason, we usually offer fillings made of composite resin instead; it can be made to match the color of your existing teeth, so your restoration will blend right in with the rest of your smile.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dental Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are very versatile; not only can they be used to reverse the damage done by a cavity, but they can also be used to repair a tooth that has been chipped, cracked, broken, or worn down. We can perform an examination to see if a filling is appropriate in your case. Generally, you’re a good candidate as long as the tooth isn’t badly infected; if it is, a different procedure such as a root canal or an extraction might be required.
How the Procedure Works
When you’re in need of a filling, the procedure will typically only require a single appointment. Our team will start by carefully and precisely removing the damaged portions of the tooth and then thoroughly cleaning the tooth in order to eliminate any and all traces of infection. Then, the composite resin is placed in layers into the space that’s left and molded in order to match the tooth’s natural shape. We use a special curing light to harden each layer of the filling in place for lasting results. We can use nitrous oxide or oral sedation to help you stay comfortable throughout this procedure.
What are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Composite resin comes in a variety of different lifelike shades, allowing our team to provide the closest match to your natural enamel for a virtually seamless result.
- Composite resin is more flexible than traditional amalgam, which means we can provide smaller fillings and preserve more healthy tooth structure.
- Tooth-colored fillings contain no metal and therefore are much less sensitive to temperature changes, making them more comfortable.
- The composite resin can chemically bond to the tooth structure itself, which means it can provide the tooth with better support.
- Composite resin is more versatile than metal amalgam and can be used to repair other kinds of damage.
- Your fillings can last 5 years or longer with the proper care, which usually means brushing and flossing your teeth like you normally would.