Revitalize Your Gum Tissue Health with Periodontal Therapy
While gum disease (also known as periodontal disease) may seem relatively mild at first, untreated cases can quickly spread and lead to destructive consequences, such as deteriorated gum tissue and the loss of permanent teeth. Studies have even shown that the presence of this infection can contribute to heart disease. At Rahn Dental Group, our doctors are thankfully more than capable of combating your condition with therapy options here in Dayton, OH.
Gum disease occurs when decay-causing bacteria is able to take root in your oral tissue and cause the recession of the gum line from the teeth. Common symptoms that patients should be on the lookout for when brushing and flossing include:
- Gum tissue that is especially red in color, swollen, or tender to the touch
- Gum tissue that bleeds easily, especially after a patient has practiced oral hygiene
- Teeth that feel strangely loose, or a sudden shift in your natural bite
- Experiencing unusual pain while chewing food
- Chronic bad breath that is excessive, even after the patient has brushed, flossed, and/or used mouthwash
- Receding gum tissue or teeth that appear gradually longer over a span of time
If you notice any of the above signs in your smile, don’t hesitate to contact our team right away. Our treatment recommendations will depend on the severity of your current condition and may include a deep dental cleaning that’s known as scaling and root planing, as well as more rigorous oral hygiene routines, antibiotic therapy, and oral surgery.